Re: generating un-stripped libraries...

On 6/22/05 2:39 PM, Aaron Richton wrote:
Are the libraries stripping, or the binaries? I don't think I've seen an
issue with the libraries stripping. The binaries, on the other hand, do
install -s if you 'make install'. One can get around this:

http://cvs.rutgers.edu/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/source-patches/openldap-2.2-nostrip.patch

Yes, I had figured that out already and forced the binaries to be not-stripped.

As others have pointed out, honoring the STRIP variable in 2.3 is a welcome addition. For that matter, I'm going to include the boilerplate recommendation that if you're taking the trouble to recompile and start up gdb, you might as well try 2.2.27 while you're at it. Good luck...

I may get there... but right now, I'd just like to be able to get a reasonable back trace...

Here's what I'm seeing (which makes absolutely no sense to me):

# file openldap-2.2.26/servers/slurpd/slurpd
openldap-2.2.26/servers/slurpd/slurpd: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

# openldap-2.2.26/servers/slurpd/slurpd -d -1
.... (a kill -6 is issued against the slurpd pid from another window)

# gdb openldap-2.2.26/servers/slurpd/slurpd core.632
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.3.0.0-0.30.1rh)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

Core was generated by `openldap-2.2.26/servers/slurpd/slurpd -d -1'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x00625090 in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00625090 in ?? ()
#1  0xbefffa70 in ?? ()
#2  0x006248bd in ?? ()
#3  0xbefff9d8 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000020 in ?? ()
#5  0xbefff9d8 in ?? ()
#6  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb) quit

With an unstripped binary and all the redhat debuginfo rpm's installed for the libraries (other than ldap)... this should show me real information... shouldn't it?

Frank