Re: generating un-stripped libraries...

Are the libraries stripping, or the binaries? I don't think I've seen an
issue with the libraries stripping. The binaries, on the other hand, do
install -s if you 'make install'. One can get around this:

http://cvs.rutgers.edu/viewcvs/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/source-patches/openldap-2.2-nostrip.patch

As others have pointed out, honoring the STRIP variable in 2.3 is a
welcome addition. For that matter, I'm going to include the boilerplate
recommendation that if you're taking the trouble to recompile and start up
gdb, you might as well try 2.2.27 while you're at it. Good luck...