Re: replication trouble

Kirk A. Turner-Rustin wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Scott Mayo wrote:

I am still trying to find out how to replicate my data. I am very, very new to LDAP and not sure if I am doing this right or not. I did manage to get my main ldap/samba server set up and it seems to be running. I am trying to get it to replicate to my slave/BDC server now, but cannot get it going. If I comment out the UPDATEREF line in the slaves slapd.conf file then I can start up ldap 'service ldap start' otherwise, if I leave it in, then it Fails to start.

Instead of using 'service ldap start', try starting slapd and
slurpd from the command line with an appropriate debugging level.
Using -1 will give you the maximum debugging output. Using 64 will
just show config file processing. See ldap.h or the admin guide
for more options.

I'll try that and see what I get.

Have you tried running slaptest against your slapd.conf files?

Yes, and it works as long as I leave off the udateref line. Once I put it back in, it fails.

Here are my config files. My main LDAP server is bes-serve (192.168.0.1) and the slave will be bms-serve (192.168.0.2). I have not really setup any security or anything yet, since this is just a test to see if I can get it up and going.

[cut]

updatedn "cn=replica, dc=bms-serve, dc=bloomfield.k12.mo.us"

I frankly don't recall whether spaces separating dn tokens like
the above are ignored by slapd, but you might try taking them out.

I believe I read where that was ok. It must be since it works with it...well it passes the slaptest anyways.

Thanks for the help.  I will see what I can come up with.

--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.