After limiting ./configure options I lost nis.schema and openldap.schema

Good day,
   I have some questions regarding the "configure"
script during openldap installation.

First, what does it mean when an option has a default
value of [auto]?

Next, I've been battling with ./configure options for
quite some time and I just can't figure out the right
combination of options to pass to configure script
such that one wrong option makes the 'make test' fail.
And so for the last time, I decided to just pass these
arguments hoping that make test will work.
--libdir=/usr/local/lib
--includedir=/usr/local/include
--mandir=/usr/share/man

And it did, but to my surprise, I can't find the
nis.schema and openldap.schema located in schema
directory of my installation. What configure options
do I need to have them included in my installation?