Problem using Password Policy Overlay

Greetings,

I'm having problem setting up slapd to run w/ ppolicy
overlay module.

Before going into the problem detail I'd like to point
out that I've spent several long days on this problem,
reading/searching OpenLDAP admin guide, user lists and
Google for how to setup the ppolicy overlay.

I've also dug into the source code, laying trace
statements throughout the startup sequence to try to
figure out what is going wrong.

That being said, here is the error I receive from
OpenLDAP log when starting the slapd process:

line 39 (moduleload     ppolicy.la)
loaded module ppolicy.la
module ppolicy.la: init_module() failed
/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 39:
<moduleload> handler exited with 1!
slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

I'm running OpenLDAP version 2.3.4 on RedHat
Enterprise 4.  I've got pretty good experience using
OpenLDAP, but have never setup an overlay.

We want to use OpenLDAP for our Internet Banking
project, and have a requirement for password policies.

More details:

1. built the ppolicy module by navigating to overlay
directory and running:  make ppolicy.la

2. configured OpenLDAP using folowing command:
configure --enable-overlays=yes --enable-modules=yes
--enable-policy=yes

3. finished w/ build, test and install steps.
Test #22 for ppolicy ran successfully

4. copied ppolicy binaries to /usr/local/lib/ldap

5. Start slapd, setup basic object structure with
policy configuration module.

6. Added statements to slapd.conf:
include		/usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/ppolicy.schema
modulepath	/usr/local/lib/ldap
moduleload	ppolicy.la
overlay ppolicy
ppolicy_default
"cn=default,ou=Policies,dc=bankx,dc=com"

7. restart slapd and get error:
module ppolicy.la: init_module() failed
/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 39:
<moduleload> handler exited with 1!
slapd destroy: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

Thanks!