RE: use of JLDAP's LDAPConnection

Am I posting this question to the wrong mailing list? Is
OpenLDAP-devel-request@OpenLDAP.org more appropriate?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jung, Eric
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 12:14 PM
To: 'Marc Boorshtein'; 'man@mentata.com'
Cc: 'OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org'
Subject: RE: use of JLDAP's LDAPConnection

Well, I don't know the history of the library. Perhaps I shouldn't have said
"Novell".

There are two LDAPConnection classes: org.ietf.ldap.LDAPConnection and
com.novell.ldap.LDAPConnection. Indeed, the jar has most classes duplicated
in such a manner, and the documentation says the com.novell.* package offers
Novell-specific functionality/extensions. Since my LDAP server is neither
Novell nor OpenLDAP (IBM Tivoli, in fact), I decided to stick with the
standards-based org.ietf.* package. The LDAPConnection class in that package
does not have this "isConnectionAlive()" method of which I talk about
below... it actually seems like isConnectionAlive() has a better
implementation of checking for "aliveness" than isConnected().

Am I making sense?