smbk5pwd not working (2.2.15)

I've got the SuSE 9.2 package of OpenLDAP 2.2.15. I build smbk5pwd from HEAD this morning.

Relevant slapd.conf lines:
moduleload smbk5pwd.so
(database ...)
overlay smbk5pwd

I see no sign of the overlay doing anything.
I tested it on an entry, created by heimdal with all of the necessary attributes.
the dn is cn=princ@realm,ou=kerberos...

With the userPassword set as {K5KEY}, I can't do a simple bind to the DN.
With it set as anything else, I can bind, but when I change the password (ldappasswd), it doesn't change my kerberos password, but it does change userPassword.

I've tried it with and without the password hash format set to {CLEARTEXT}

slapd reports no errors.

What could I be missing?