syncrepl questions

I'm working on a project where we using
openldap, but also we want to run it on
redundant systems (where one box is Lead and
the other is Standby). These redundant systems can
and will change who is Lead and who is Standby,
usually based upon failure or maintenance conditions.
This starting me thinking about how to replicate the
information and how to get syncrepl's viewpoint of
master/slave to follow my need of Lead and Standby and
to have them reverse rolls when needed.

In looking over the documentation of syncrepl on the
openldap site, I didn't see anything obvious that
would help me with this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Shawn