Re: Yet another replication problem.

I second using sync-repl. I've been using it for about a year in production and it's worlds better than slurpd.

When I was using slurpd for replication it would always get out of sync. Slurpd really isn't suited for wan links because it expects that there will never be a communication failure between Master and Slave. If the link goes down your out of sync until to manually resync, which is a chore with slurpd. Sync-repl is much more durable and resilient. With sync-repl it uses time stamps on the entries to know if an entry should be modified or not. This means that if your Slave looses connection with the Master it will automatically resync once the connection is reestablished. I wrote a howto in the wiki a while back on how to configure this behaviour.

Administration of slaves is much easier with sync-repl. I remember with slurpd I would have to put the Master in readonly so that I could export an ldif that was completely uptodate to import into the slave. With sync-repl you can use any old ldif, or none at all, and it will automatically sync it back up.

Cheers, James.