Re: how does slurpd resolve hostnames?

slurpd does nothing special to resolve hostnames, it uses the resolver library like any other application.

However, the behavior you describe sounds like slurpd isn't able to talk to nscd. That sounds like an operating-system related problem. Since you didn't mention which OS you're using, there's not much more to be said. You also didn't mention what version of OpenLDAP you're using, and whether the same version of LDAP libraries is used for both slurpd and NSS. Anyway, I don't believe the solution to this question will have anything to do with slurpd itself, and NSS and OS issues are outside the scope of this mailing list.

Rob French wrote:

I use nsswitch (w/ nscd) to do user, group, and hostname lookups via
LDAP. This works just fine for the most part. Now, I've got two slave
servers (chesterton and calvin) and a master (augustine), for
replication. Those hostnames (and others) are accessible via LDAP (using
nsswitch.conf: "files ldap dns"). This works correctly w/ ldapsearch and
others, ie, "ldapsearch -x chesterton". However, when I try to add an
entry to the master, slurpd just hangs and never replicates; there's no
network traffic, either.

I can solve this by putting chesterton and calvin into /etc/hosts on
augustine, and everything works fine. So, it looks like slurpd won't
access LDAP for hostnames, even though everything else will. Is this
expected, or is something broken? Thanks.

--
 -- Howard Chu