Re: server restart - lost data?

--On Friday, May 20, 2005 11:04 PM -0500 Jon Roberts <jon@jonanddeb.net> wrote:

Shashank Agrawal wrote:
my server rebooted uncleanly due to power issue and i lost most of the
data in LDAP. I am using openldap on fedora box. I keep server up2date
so i am running latest version of openldap that fedora provides. i
searched little bit on internet and it seems that the data was cache and
not written to the database, and so i lost them. how do i recover the
data

You should cd to your openldap directory and run the BDB utility db_recover before restarting slapd. See:

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/utility/db_recover.html

and what can i do to prevent this.

Several recent threads on this list recommend you add a step to run db_recover in your slapd startup script, because crashes happen.

This only works if he's running OpenLDAP 2.1.x and later. Most all Fedora installations use 2.0.x, unfortunately. So what would be most useful is to know the version of OpenLDAP that is being used, because advice cannot be properly suggested until it is. Even if it is 2.1.x or later, he could still be using the ldbm backend, which also means the db_recover option wouldn't work.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html