Re: JLDAP README out of date

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
I think that README was written for packaged releases of JLDAP
(such as those provided by Novell).

I thought that was this:

http://ftp.novell.com/pub/forge/jldap/README.html

Since the OpenLDAP CVS README has build instructions, I assume it's meant for source distributions.

I don't believe any
of the "external" software was ever committed to the CVS
repository...

I pretty sure I got the external path contents from OpenLDAP CVS some time ago, but as I said it's better by me without it.

Is it desirable for the core JLDAP libraries to accumulate dependencies on external libraries outside those in J2SE?

Well, philosophically, I don't have a problem with such dependencies if they are essential to providing JLDAP functionality. So, from my point of view, the question should be more about what functionality is essential with a secondary question of how to effectively and efficiently provide that functionality.

Understood. I suppose then the question should be rephrased: is DSMLv2 SOAP over HTTP client support essential JLDAP functionality?

It might be good to split 'core' functionality from other
functionality... but at present, there is no well defined
scope of what's 'core' and what's not.

When functionality like connection pooling and LDIF writing is relegated to auxiliary packages, I do wonder what makes these operations special. Then again, having made very little contribution to the codebase myself, I recognize the developers' prerogative.

I know the right thing to do is to post ITS reports and patches to this effect, which I will do,

Contributions welcomed.

if there is no concern for scoping JLDAP I have a boatload of working code to accomplish a number of particular and extraneous tasks that I'd be happy to contribute myself!

What is the appropriate channel for contributing entire libraries (like JLDAP or JDBC-LDAP) to the OpenLDAP project?

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com