Re: slapd dying ...

I have strange crashes as well, but under much heavier load and a
different setup.  ;)
Is it possible that your indexes are messed up, or something along those lines?
What's the behaviour of the crash?  Do you get core files, or does it
just shutdown?

Did you try truss/ktrace/strace-ing the search and/or server during
these hangs to see what was happening?  Are there some db-specific
monitorings you could try?

--
_Matt