Re: An interesting PANIC

On Tue May 03 2005 at 10:18:02 CEST, Frank Swasey wrote:

> Problem: bdb(dc=uvm,dc=edu): PANIC: fatal region error detected; run
> recovery
>
> Somehow a bdb log file got created and owned by root.  Based on the
> timestamp and the contents of the log, it appears that it happened
> because the nightly slapcat (which runs as root) did a checkpoint.

To avoid those, I use a tiny executable wrapper suid to the ldap user
and group. I needed that because I was getting the same panics every
time db_recover et al ran (we do a db_recover before slapd starts up).

My backup script then does:
	uldap slapcat -f ${instance}.conf -l "${LDIF}"

If you need the tiny program, drop me a line.

	-JP