Really really slow behavior

I just built a fresh copy of 2.2.24, on top of BerkeleyDB 4.2.52 (+4 patches) on a new machine that I just got.

When I try to run "make test" it runs really really (I mean really) slow.  In an hour, its only gotten through 5 tests.

Obviously, I've done something very wrong - and I suspect its maybe a network configuration issue rather than an openldap issue - but I'm currently at a loss.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  My configuration options were all default, except for two source code changes (which I have been making on previous versions of openldap for close to a year with no issues)

Thanks,

Dan