Re: [openldap] initialize openldap

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 04:37:22PM +0200, emmanuelbiennier@virtualvercors.net wrote:
> Hi everybody
> So I'm new in the mailing list.
> I try to configure openldap on Mandrake 10.0 and it doesn't work
> So I read in forums that I can reinitialize openldap if I delete all file
> who are in /var/lib/openldap

Yes, from my experience this is true. At least with the bdb
backend.

> and if I modified configuration files (slap.conf and ldap.conf)

I'm not sure what this means?

> I do that but I can't start openldap !
> what's wrong and how can I reinitialize (completly) openldap ?
>
> Thank you for answers

I would check the following:

  1. Look in syslog for an error

  2. Make sure that slapd is not already running (it has to be
     stopped before removing the files in /var/lib/openldap).

  3. Run the syntax configuration check:

     slapd -t

  4. If not running slapd as root, make sure that the permissions
     are correct on /var/lib/openldap. Also if you're using TLS check
     that the private key is readable by the slapd account.

  5. Run slapd in the foreground printing debug info to stderr:

     slapd -d LEVEL

     Where LEVEL is as described for "loglevel" in slapd.conf(5).

--
Steve Feehan