RE: Plea for Server Side Sorting

At 09:49 AM 4/1/2005, Armbrust, Daniel C. wrote:
>Just making the point that sorting results isn't a limitation of LDAP design in general

Your are arguably incorrect in this point. LDAP is designed
as an access protocol to a distributed directory service, and
that limits the kinds of capabilities the service can reasonably
be expected to offer.  Of course, that hasn't stopped folks
stretching LDAP beyond its design limitations.

Your point that there likely would be less pushback if
this control would be easy to implementation in slapd(8)
might well be true.  But as slapd(8) is intended to be part
of a distributed directory service, I suspect there would
be push-back regardless.

Anyways, seems we beat this horse to death.  Time to bury this
thread...  at least until someone actively attempts to develop
a more complete implementation of RFC 2891 than the one I
committed to HEAD.

Kurt