Re: Help writing backend or overlay?

Michael.Smith@domino1.cuny.edu wrote:

Can anyone point me to resources that would be helpful in writing a custom backend or overlay? For example, documentation of the backend and overlay APIs and the relevant OpenLDAP data structures? I've done the obvious googling and come up with very little.

Hm, have you looked in the OpenLDAP 2.3 source tree? The slapover.txt file would be a good place to start, followed by simply reading through some of the existing overlays. For most purposes you probably can do what you need in an overlay, as opposed to writing a full backend.

Best of all, of course, would be A Big Dummy's Guide To Overlays And Backends. -- Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

"A Big Dummy's Guide..." would be summarized as "get someone else to do it." (Actually, that'd also be the Really Smart Guy's way to do it too... ;)

--
 -- Howard Chu