Re: LDAP hangs requiring slapd stop and deleting __db.00* files

Owen DeLong wrote:

I'm seeing this problem also, using openldap version 2.2.23.  In my case,
clearing things up requires the following steps:

service ldap stop
/usr/sbin/slapd_db_recover -h /var/lib/ldap
service ldap start
chown -R ldap.ldap /var/lib/ldap
service ldap start

For some reason, the db_recover deletes:
-rw-------   1 ldap ldap   16384 Mar 28 22:22 __db.001
-rw-------   1 ldap ldap  278528 Mar 28 22:22 __db.002
-rw-------   1 ldap ldap   98304 Mar 28 22:22 __db.003
-rw-------   1 ldap ldap  450560 Mar 28 22:22 __db.004
-rw-------   1 ldap ldap   24576 Mar 28 22:22 __db.005

and the first service ldap start creates them owned by root, then, ldap
dies because they are owned by root and not ldap. The second service
ldap start starts the ldap daemon.

As the OpenLDAP project does not provide start/stop scripts, this is an issue for you to take up with whoever packaged the version you're using, or whoever wrote your service start script.

I don't know about idlcachesize... What is a reasonable value to put there?
It is not documented or even mentioned in my slapd.conf(5) manpage.
Is it new to 2.2.24?

The idlcachesize setting was introduced in 2.1.10 and has been in the slapd-bdb(5) manpage ever since.

--
 -- Howard Chu