Solaris 9 LDAP client - different behaviour with back-bdb and back-ldbm

Hi,

we are running OpenLDAP on Solaris 9 with Sun's native ldapclient. At
the moment we have OpenLDAP 2.2.13 with back-ldbm and 1765 users in the
directory.

While testing OpenLDAP 2.2.23 with back-bdb, I ran into a curios problem
with getent passwd. If sizelimit is set to unlimited, or any value
>1000, "getent passwd" will return only 1000 entries (plus /etc/passwd).
The log file says, to my surprise, "nentries=1000".
A smaller sizelimit, e.g. 500, is honoured and will return 500 entries.

A switch to back-ldbm as database backend will solve this issue
completely and return all 1765 entries from the directory server.

a few other notes on this topic:
Linux clients do not care about the database backend
ldapsearch is always working as expected
OpenLDAP 2.1.x doesn't share these Problems

Is this a client or server problem? Any help is appreciated.

regards,
Reinhard

--
Reinhard Sojka <reinhard.sojka@parlament.gv.at>