Re: OL database on NFS-mounted partition?

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:39:08PM +0300, Antuan Avdioukhine wrote:

> > > How good or bad to store OpenLDAP database (bdb/hdb) on NFS-mounted
> > > partitions? Have anyone such expirience? FreeBSD 5.3.
> > Why would you want to do that?
> > For backup reasons?
> 	Not just for backup. I'm collecting any information for future
> projects, and one part of it will be redundant network data storage.
> Running low on money I have no possibility to instal extra reliable disk
> array on every server, but if I'll have network storage it will be
> possible to store some significant data on it.

Disks are actually very reliable these days. I would suggest keeping
the database on local disk, and using your NFS server to keep backup
copies - either by exporting to LDIF or by copying the DB files directly
(though you need to read the Sleepycat docs carefully if you choose to
copy DB files).

> 	Concerning LDAP I'm reviewin some configurations of backend
> including supported SQL storage, but I'm confused after reading some
> articles about choosing database storage, which strongly recomends use
> bdb or udb.

SQL storage is possible, but the SQL backend is really there to allow
LDAP access to *existing* SQL data. The LDAP data model is rather different
from the relational model, so there are some limitations when doing
this.

Andrew