Subtree delete not supported: HDB bug?

OS		: linux (debian, 2.6.10 kernel)
OpenLDAP	: 2.2.23
BDB		: 4.2.52 (+ patches)

I'm in the process of evaluating the replacement of our NIS/NT4 Domain setup
with a unified Samba/Heimdal/OpenLDAP solution.

In the process, I've also been testing setting up private addressbooks for our
users using LDAP so they can access their contacts from any client that supports
LDAP addressbooks.

The entry for myself looks like this:

	uid=jfh,ou=Users,dc=cise,dc=ufl,dc=edu

the addressbook definition:

	ou=userabook,uid=jfh,ou=Users,dc=cise,dc=ufl,dc=edu

and an addressbook entry:

	dn: cn=Someone There,ou=userabook,uid=jfh,ou=Users,dc=cise,dc=ufl,dc=edu
	objectClass: inetOrgPerson
	sn: There
	cn: Someone There
	mail: ack@foo.com
	mobile: 111-2222
	structuralObjectClass: inetOrgPerson

I found that when I set up the database using HDB, I wasn't able to delete
some of my contacts:

	ldapdelete -r -H ldaps://server.cise.ufl.edu \
	-D uid=jfh,ou=Users,dc=cise,dc=ufl,dc=edu -Y GSSAPI
	'cn=Someone There,ou=userabook,uid=jfh,ou=Users,dc=cise,dc=ufl,dc=edu'

	SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
	SASL username: jfh@CISE.UFL.EDU
	SASL SSF: 56
	SASL installing layers
	Delete Result: Operation not allowed on non-leaf (66)
	Additional info: subtree delete not supported

The same thing occurred after reinitializing the database with slapcat/db
removal/slapadd as well.

However, when I changed the DB definition back to bdb and reinitialize, I can
delete the entries just fine.

Is this a bug in HDB, or am I doing something wrong?

I can give more info on request.

| Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin                   UF/CISE Department |
| E314D CSE Building                            Phone (352) 392-1499 |
| jfh@cise.ufl.edu                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh |