From: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@stanford.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 5:34 PM
To: Reinhard Nappert; OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: Constraint violation in Replication setup.

--On Friday, March 04, 2005 2:53 PM -0500 Reinhard Nappert
<rnappert@juniper.net> wrote:

> Quanah, you might be right. I used just ldapBrowser for that initial
> test.
>
> I wrote quickly a JNDI client, where I add the property to follow
> referrals:
>
> DirContext ctx = new InitialDirContext(env);
> ctx.addToEnvironment(Context.REFERRAL,"follow");
>
> I still get the same error:
> javax.naming.NamingException: [LDAP: error code 80 - no
> structuralObjectClass operational attribute]; remaining name
> 'o=test,dc=net'
>
> I also snooped on port 389 and I do not see any traffic from the slave

> to the master. Somehow, it is not following the referral. The
> updateref directive looks fine to me. Do you see any abnormal
configuration items.

Reinhard,

I think you misunderstand referrals.  They work this way:

Client tries to make a modification to the slave.
Slave rejects the modification and returns the referral for the master
to the client.
The client then makes a new connection to the master, and updates the
master.

So you should never see traffic from the slave to the master in this
scenario.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer

fantasy and sf books, which foster that deadly enemy to bigotry and
blind faith, the imagination." -- Ursula K. Le Guin