Re: OpenLDAP - versioning/stability questions

--On Monday, February 21, 2005 6:25 PM +0100 Dieter Kluenter <dieter@dkluenter.de> wrote:

Hi,

"Richard L. Goerwitz III" <richard@goerwitz.com> writes:

[...]

As for OpenLDAP, is there a particular version in the 2.2.x series
that's regarded as particularly stable, and that could serve as
the basis for a major directory installation for 18 - 24 months?

(18-24 months is a typical lifecycle at an institution like mine.
It's hard to maintain software that, aside from basic patching, needs
serious work, or gets us into support problems, on anything less
than an 18 month cycle [and even that can be tight].  This isn't
atypical in my experience, at least in higher ed.)

This depends on your requirements. If you don't need syncrepl and proxyauthentication by back-ldap nor any overlays, and if you don't care about any vulnerabilities, and if you want to stick with BerkeleyDB 4.2.52, I would say 2.2.18 is rock stable, at least on my systems, otherwise I would go for 2.2.23.

What does BDB 4.2.52 and what version of OpenLDAP 2.2 you use have to do with anything? BDB 4.2 works with all the OpenLDAP 2.2 releases, and I certainly hope it'll work with all of the OpenLDAP 2.3 releases too, given the inherent problems in BDB 4.3.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html