From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org [mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of bruce
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:17 AM
To: OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: real basic questions for openldap...

hi...

i'm looking into testing/playing with openldap.. and i have some real basic
questions. i'm using rh 8.0 linux as the platform.

from the 'www.openldap.org' quickstart page, i get the following:

edit the '/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf' file:

database bdb
suffix "dc=<MY-DOMAIN>,dc=<COM>"   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=<MY-DOMAIN>,dc=<COM>" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
rootpw secret <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
directory /usr/local/var/openldap-data

if this is for my own test system/network, running as '192.168.x.x', i don't
have an actual domain. what should be used for the 'Suffix/Rootdn' lines of
the file? also, what should the 'rootpw' be? is this the root password to
the server, or is this simply a password that i make up for the openldap
server, in which case, it could be anything...

i know the questions are basic, but i can't seem to find answers to them
through google...

(my ultimate goal is to be abls to create a kind of basic employee directory
for a small team working on a software project...)

i've also seen information that indicates that ldap servers are good
repositories if address/contact information (which is my goal), and that
there are good open source web based clients that can be used for users to
read/write their information, as well as for being able to handle the admin
function. Are there any web based clients that you've seen that are
better/worse than others?

also, i've seen information that states that wiki apps are good apps for
dealing with company information. are there any wiki apps that you've seen
that interface with openldap?

thanks...

bruce
bedouglas@earthlink.net