sasl and tls?

It's difficult to formulate a search parameter for the archives for this
question.

I have a more or less working ldap server running on Fedora core 3 which
I want to use to authenticate users on Linux (FC3 and RHES3/4) and
Solaris (8, 9 and 10) machines.

So far it works for authentication on another FC3 machine.  Now I'm
testing Solaris 8, as most of our machines run that OS.

It appears that Solaris 8 runs an ldap v2 variety and requires tls for
encryption.

Can I configure slapd to use either sasl or tls encryption so that, if
sasl is not available on the client the server will accept a tls
connection?

TIA

//james