Re: good time to learn how to fix problems

On Sat, 2005-02-12 at 12:06 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Saturday, February 12, 2005 12:26 PM -0700 Craig White
> <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > I gave up and did the dump and reload of my slapcat file and had pretty
> > much the same problem and figured out that it was the index files that
> > were giving me problems. So I dumped and reloaded again and did
> > slapindex after slapadd and that seemed to fix things and it is working
> > fine. That may have been my problem all along. I would have sworn that
> > someone said that slapindex after slapadd was unnecessary but that
> > doesn't appear to be the case with 2.2.19
>
> You have something else wrong, as slapadd does the indexing while adding
> the database.  You are removing the __db.*, *.bdb, and all the bdb logs
> before running slapadd, right?
>
> I would guess that you didn't apply the OL related transaction patch, just
> the BDB one.
>
> See:
>
> <http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/patches/openldap/ol-transactions.diff>
> <http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/configuration/patches/db/bdb-transactions.diff>

----
I worried about that very thing when I saw the txn message in the error
log. I checked and the patch was indeed applied openldap source and thus
to be absolutely certain, I again did ./configure && make && make test
&& make install again.

At no time did I ever do a 'make clean' - should I have done that first?

Anyway, it does seem to be working and somewhere near the end of 'make
test' (which gives one time to think about the greater meaning of life),
it occurred to me that I should have downloaded 2.2.23 tarball and
installed that. I obviously will do that.

Yes, to me dump and reload goes like this...

/etc/init.d/ldap-new stop
cd /usr/local/var/openldap-data
cp DB_CONFIG /
rm *
rm ../openldap-logs/*
mv /DB_CONFIG .
slapadd -l /home/storage/backup/ldap/data/dump.ldif
slapindex #apparently unnecessary according to Quanah
chown ldap:ldap *
/etc/init.d/ldap-new start

so I think that means that I have cleared out logs, __db*, bdb files and
log files both in openldap-data and openldap-logs. If I am missing
something in the process, please let me know.

Thanks

Craig