Re: Berkely DB and OpenLDAP

--On Saturday, February 05, 2005 5:10 PM -0500 Edward Rudd <eddie@omegaware.com> wrote:

I'm updating my OpenLDAP server from 2.1.19 to 2.2.x, Right now I have
2.2.17 w/ BDB 4.2.52 compiled and RPMized, and looking at building
2.2.23.
I'm just wanting to know is BDB 4.3 the recommended version now, or is
BDB 4.2.52 sill the recommended release of BDB?

I've done a lot of testing of BDB 4.2.52 and BDB 4.3.27. For the OpenLDAP 2.2 release, I recommend BDB 4.2.52. There is no way to do "quick" loads of data with 4.3.27, as the option they provide via in-memory-logs runs into severe issues with OpenLDAP. As far as performance, I saw no real difference between the 4.2 and 4.3 releases. The only gain on 4.3 is around transactions, which won't affect most people, but you can patch BDB 4.2.52 and OpenLDAP for that as well. Once OpenLDAP 2.3 is released with its new "quick" option to slapadd, it should be fine to use BDB 4.3.

My openldap site has some notes about the transactions stuff:

<http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap/>

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html