Re: ldapadd question

man ldapadd
"ldapmodify opens a connection to an LDAP server, binds,  and
     modifies  or  adds  entries.
ldapadd is a hard link to ldapmodify with -s option."

slapadd on the other hand does things locally.

Possibly ldapadd is working where your other connections failed since you providing a username and password with ldapadd.

-Patrick