sizelimit & back-bdb - getent passwd returns max. 1000 entries while ldapsearch returns all entries

Hi,

we are running OpenLDAP on Solaris 9 with Sun's native ldapclient. While
testing OpenLDAP 2.2.x, I ran into a curios problem with getent passwd
when using back-bdb as backend.

If sizelimit is set to unlimited or a value >1000, "getent passwd"
returns only 1000 entries while ldapsearch returns all entries. A
smaller sizelimit, say 500, returns 500 entries for getent and
ldapsearch. The value for "nentries=" in the log files confirms this
behaviour.

Please note that OpenLDAP 2.2.23 with back-ldbm is working as expected.
Also everything is fine with OpenLDAP 2.1.30, no matter which backend I
am using.

Is this a configuration problem or a bug? I can provide logfiles if
anybody is interested.

Regards,
Reinhard

--