ldapsearch and LDAP URLs

Can anyone point me to better documentation on ldapsearch with -H and
specifying a URI? I could not find much of this online or in the archives.

I provide what I *think* is a valid URL based on RFC 2255 and get errors
from ldapsearch. For example:

ldapsearch -x -D "cn=manager,dc=me,dc=com" -w secret -H 'ldap:///?objectClass?sub?(cn=Test5)'

will give me everything in the directory, not just the objectclasses and
the output says that the filter is (objectclass=*). Any idea why neither the
attribute nor the filter in my URI is recognized?

Then I try:

ldapsearch -H ldap:///ou=People,dc=me,dc=com

or anything with a comma in the dn gives an error of:

ldap_initialize( ldap:///ou=People,dc=visa,dc=com )
Could not create LDAP session handle for URI=ldap:///ou=People,dc=visa,dc=com (-9): Bad parameter to an ldap routine

Any ideas? This is on 2.2.19.

Thanks,
Steve