Da: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@stanford.edu]
Inviato: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 10:17 PM
A: Roberto Balducci; OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org
Oggetto: Re: slapd process needs a restart

--On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 3:42 PM +0200 Roberto Balducci
<roberto.balducci@proconsul-it.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're having a problem with our openldap installation.
>
> Our software release are:
>
>    - db-4.1.25.NC
>    - openldap-2.1.23
>
> and are installed on an alpha ds10 with TRU64 5.1A operating system.
>
> Our db has about 4300000 entries and the id2entry.bdb file is about
7,7
> gb.
>
> We had some performance problem, so we had installed another 1 gb of
ram,
> and better tuned the slapd, updating the slapd.conf and DB_CONFIG
file:
> we set cachesize slapd.conf's attribute to 3000000 and the
set_cachesize
> DB_CONFIG's attribute to 1 52428800 1; we had also updated the kernel
> related attributes.
>
> Now slapd is faster and it has performance as we need, but after 3
days
> of work, even if it's running and seems to be working fine, it doesn't
> accept any new connections or become very slowly, and we do not have
any
> other things that to restart it.
>
> From system point of view, nothing seems strange, socket are all
> established, but running the netstat -an | grep 389 command more
times,
> we see that the number of bytes in either receive and send queue, do
not
> change.
>
> In this scenario, if we start ldapsearch, it takes 15 minutes, to
> retrieve information.
>
> The ordinary work is to answer to thousands ldap query request per day
> and to add about 15000 entries per day.
>
> Any suggestion will be very appreciate.

I would suggest upgrading both OL and BDB.  At the least, upgrade OL to
OL-2.1.30.  OL-2.1.23, and many many bugs were fixed between the 2.1.23
release and 2.1.30 release.  I'd highly advise moving to OL 2.2.23,
given
the DOS vulnerability in all OL 2.1 releases & OL 2.2 releases that are
less then 2.2.23.

For BDB, BDB-4.2.52 (plus patches) is a more stable platform than
4.1.25,
and has better performance as well, in tests that I did for the OL 2.1
line
a long long time ago.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer

fantasy and sf books, which foster that deadly enemy to bigotry and
blind