Re: Checkpoint command not working in slapd.conf?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> which appears to imply that slapd calls the checkpoint function itself
> after any update (and config.c bdb_db_config() seems to load up the
> checkpoint parameters), hence an external cron job is not necessary?

Skip it - I found the answer.  Howard explained it thus:

``In OpenLDAP 2.1 and 2.2 the checkpoint directive acts as follows - *when
  there is a write operation*, and more than <check> minutes have occurred
  since the last checkpoint, perform the checkpoint. If more than <check>
  minutes pass after a write without any other write operations occurring,
  no checkpoint is performed, so it's possible to lose the last write that
  occurred.''

And my timeline was:

Force a checkpoint at 10:17.  Update at 10:19.  Because fewer than
5 minutes had elapsed *since the last checkpoint*, no checkpoint is done.

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 8425-5508 (d) -5500 (sw)
Corinthian Engineering, Level 1, 401 Pacific Hwy, Artarmon, NSW 2064, Australia