Re: ldbm and deref aliases

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Christian Gellweiler writes:

In the ou=people tree are all persons in a given company. They are
organized in groups listed in the ou=groups tree stored as aliases to
the ou=people tree.

Note that this means a search operation inside ou=groups with LDAP_DEREF_ALWAYS will not make use of indices, since it much follow each alias to examine the aliased entry, and indexing is not done "through" aliases.

At least that was the situation some years ago when we got rid of our
aliases, and finally got rid of the complaints about timeouts from
people whose clients searched with LDAP_DEREF_ALWAYS.

I note that this post is talking about aliases in back-ldbm, which are badly broken. Aliases in (2.2) back-bdb work properly, even with indices. As usual, the best advice here is to upgrade and quit using back-ldbm.

--
 -- Howard Chu