Re[6]: openldap db wiped?

>> QGM> You haven't answered the version question. ;)
>>
>> Hey, I have no experience with openldap, so I did:
>>
>> "strings log.0000000001" | more
>>
>> and I see some pieces of the data that is missing. This gives me a
>> hope that I can still get those lost records ;)

QGM> Well, "db_recover" is the command that is supposed to recover the data from
QGM> the log files and write it out to the DB.

QGM> I would try making sure slapd is stopped, and then running "db_recover"
QGM> twice in a row.  Sometimes it needs to recreate the DB environment the
QGM> first time it is run, before it'll do the rest of the recover.

QGM> Again, to avoid getting into this situation in the future, I suggest adding
QGM> the "checkpoint" directive to your slapd.conf, which will have OpenLDAP
QGM> checkpoint the database on a periodic basis, rather than just at shutdown
QGM> time.

I will probably look like a dummy here but I can't understand one
thing: this "checkpoint" directive (I have it set for 5 minutes now):

will it write the data to disk every 5 minutes (and in case of crash,
I would have my data almost up-to-date)
or
will it NOT write the data to disk, but give me the ability to recover
it later with db_recover?

By the way, to get the contents of my previously crashed DB, I had to
write a perl script which parses the log file and generates an LDIF
according to that log. Not very nice way to do it, but I have the
records :)

Karolis