loose end cleanup

I haven't been able to figure out how to solve these messages in my logs
and whether they're significant...

Jan  5 20:45:18 linuxserver slapd[3126]: => bdb_equality_candidates
(uniqueMember)
Jan  5 20:45:18 linuxserver slapd[3126]: <= bdb_equality_candidates:
(uniqueMember) index_param failed (18)

I tried adding
index       uniqueMember              eq
to slapd.conf and when I try to restart slapd I get error...
Starting slapd: /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 146: equality
index of attribute "uniqueMember" disallowed
                                                           [FAILED]

Is there some index that I should have for this attribute? How do I deal
with this or should I ignore?

Thanks

Craig