lock table out of available locks when adding entry

After looking a little more, I'm not sure why the lock table is running
out of available locks (or is it memory?). My BDB backend is configured
with the normal 1000 max locks and here is the output from db_stat -c
(which looks like nowhere near the maximum number of locks has ever been
used):

104312  Last allocated locker ID.
2147M   Current maximum unused locker ID.
9       Number of lock modes.
1000    Maximum number of locks possible.
1000    Maximum number of lockers possible.
1000    Maximum number of lock objects possible.
2       Number of current locks.
43      Maximum number of locks at any one time.
8       Number of current lockers.
32      Maximum number of lockers at any one time.
2       Number of current lock objects.
43      Maximum number of lock objects at any one time.
1088942 Total number of locks requested.
1046585 Total number of locks released.
7140    Total number of lock requests failing because DB_LOCK_NOWAIT was
set.
3       Total number of locks not immediately available due to conflicts.
0       Number of deadlocks.
0       Lock timeout value.
0       Number of locks that have timed out.
0       Transaction timeout value.
0       Number of transactions that have timed out.
448KB   The size of the lock region..
190     The number of region locks granted after waiting.
2175630 The number of region locks granted without waiting.