Re: Installing openldap 2.2.19 on RHEL 3

Marjan Knauer:

>> I do have a really dumb question... the file
>> called /usr/local/var/openldap-data/DB_CONFIG
>>
>> should that be owned by ldap:ldap or root:root or ??:??
>>
>> Craig
>>

> I recognized a problem on Fedora 2/3 on replication thathas exactly
> this owner problem! Someone told me it is thesame on RH-EL. The daemon
> running as ldap can NOT handlethe replication directory and especially
> the lock filesfrom the replog files.You have at least to change them all
> to user and group ldap!For me there seems still to be some problems as I
> thinkthat the OpenLDAP software creates somes files as user root.I think
> this is hardcoded in the software and therefor nota good idea of Redhat to
> change the daemon user.

Dunno about Red Hat, but on my Openldap source installs (i.e. all of my
systems), slurpd (if that's what you're writing about) runs as root and
all files he writes and reads are root:root. Works perfectly. As for
DB_CONFIU, as long as the ldap user can read it, it doesn't matter who
owns it.

--Tonni

--
mail: tonye@billy.demon.nl