Re: Openldap 2.2.19 cannot find db-4.3.21

--On Tuesday, November 30, 2004 3:55 PM -0500 Igor Brezac <igor@ipass.net> wrote:

Another bug I found involves using the in-memory logs as a replacement
for  DB_TXN_NOSYNC.  If you have a DB with more than approximately
66,000 entries,  and you add it with the in-memory logs, the add will
fail.

As long as you do not use DB_LOG_INMEMORY, this should not be an issue.

Right, but given the obnoxiously long time it will take to import a large database, this is an issue. Also an issue with using it is the amount of memory it consumes. In OL 2.3 there is a workaround to let you use DB_TXN_NOSYNC with the fasttool and the DB environment. I'm currently debating with Sleepycat the merits of putting DB_TXN_NOSYNC back in on a per-environment basis rather than per-DB.

Sleepycat also mentioned in passing in one of my email exchanges with
them  that they have several other patches for 4.3.21 as well.

Performance testing on 4.3.21 found it to be markedly slower on Solaris
than  4.2.52 as well.

How much of a performance hit do you see? In one of his recent messages, Howard mentioned that he exclusively uses 4.3.21...

With Solaris I'm seeing 60 operations/second on average fewer with 4.3 than 4.2. That's 3600 fewer operations/minute, etc. This mark was obtained by running a particular test (10 clients, doing equality with exact match searches) multiple times, and taking the average of the resulting operations/seconds measure.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Engineer