Re: weird performance issue

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 04:36:31PM -0600, Jacob Walcik wrote:

> > >does anyone have any suggestions as to what i should start tweaking to
> > >improve performance?  i've looked at the suggestions in the openldap
> >
> > Do lookups from the commandline do the same thing?
>
> yes.  i have an incredibly small ldap directory (189 records, all
> users or groups), and it takes several minutes for a full ldapsearch
> to be returned.

>From commandline on same machine to 127.0.0.1?  Even with /no/ indexing,
it seems crazy that it would take that long to return a handful of
records.  My seat of the pants tells me it's not an ldap issue at all,
but a network problem, like a nameserver timeout, or somesuch.  If you
have the same problem on localhost, that would shoot down yet another of
my bright ideas.

Watch the network traffic with something like

tcpdump -q -n -l host <clientip> and host <serverip>

to watch traffic between the two machines.  Does it stall before the
conversation even starts?  Or does it stall after the client asks a
question and before the server answers?

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager