OpenLDAP Metadirectory building problems

Hi all,

I am currently trying to build a basic meta directory. It should
(non-anonymously-) bind to some other directories, and I want to have some
attribute mapping.
I'm wondering if this is possible with OpenLDAP. I checked out various
versions of OpenLDAP for that scenario, but all of them fail in a special
case - or it's me who is failing, please enlighten me.

I give an overview of what I've seen so far:
openldap-2.2.17/18 and 2.2.x-cvs:
        slapd-ldap works,
        attribute mapping works,
        idassert-* directives not working (unknown directive
"idassert-method"...)

openldap-2.x-cvs from 11/26/2004:
        slapd-ldap works,
        idassert-* directive without error/warning message (but doesn't
seem to work - probably my fault),
        attribute mapping does not work (No error, but no mapping)

If I want to use both functions, binding-functions and attribute mapping,
I am in a dilemma.

slapd-meta is crashing for all versions beyond 2.2.17.
This is a reproducible story: If OpenLDAP queries the back-end directory
(in this case a Domino Server) and is receiving a large entry (in this
case the Domino Certificate) the server dies with a Segmentation fault.

My questions now:
- Am I doing something wrong? Do I have the wrong imagination of how to do
this?
- Isn't this possible at the current point of OpenLDAP development?
- Is there another possibility of letting OpenLDAP bind non-anonymously to
another server?

If you need more information regarding my setup, don't hesitate to ask.
Any help, hints, pointer to further documentation and so on is highly
appreciated.

With best regards,
Sascha