Re: Is the Redhat's openldap distribution broken?

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 10:56:51PM +0800, Tay, Gary wrote:
> Developer will need the include files, right?

So, the openldap-devel is for DEVELopers, we agree on that :)

> And, IIRC, openldap-devel-2.X.XX-X includes "ldap.h", if u r compiling/building nss_ldap, it will need this file.

A server shouldn't even have gcc in my opinion, so it's a good thing in my opinion
to have this separation. If something is not needed, I would like to have the option
to not install it.

> I did not disagree with this package layout, some others distros have fewer
> than three rpms, it is just a little confusing  to some people that they
> initially thought "openldap-2.X.X.X" includes EVERYTHING, instead of just the
> libs files.

Yes, that's right, it can be confusing. And some times this fragmentation can be taken
too far.