FW: OpenLDAP as an enterprise level LDAP provider (try II)

Looks like this may = have been cut off on the first post. John Fortin PBG Middleware and Web = Services (914) 767-7844 > -----Original Message----- >From: Fortin, John {PBG} >Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 12:21 PM >To: OpenLDAP Mail List >Subject: <= /B> OpenLDAP as an enterprise level LDAP = provider > >First of this, this message is = intended to open a discussion >about using OpenLDAP in the = enterprise. I do not want to >start a flame war concerning the = pros and cons of various LDAP >implementations. > >Currently we are using OpenLDAP = as our initial implementation >for authentication and = authorization with Weblogic and other >J2EE providers for our enterprise = application. Our initial >rollout was successful, although = we did not have a large >population of users in the = directory (<1000) Performance was >fine, and we had no issue with = loading data etc as the ldif >files were small. > >However, as we are now looking to = roll this out to a much >larger population (600K+) we are = starting to run into some >issues, one of which I sent a = note about recently. The issues >we are currently seeing, and = could potentially be a show >stopper for us are as = follows: > > 1) Log = archiving and transactions - With the current >bdb and version of OpenLDAP = (2.2.18), I cannot archive/delete >files without stopping = slapd. This manifested itself as we >were testing bulk loading of data = "" consistently ran out of >log space. I have tested = with the various patched suggested >to no avail. I have not = tested with the newest version of bdb >(4.3) as I have no indication = that this fixes the issue. > >   2) The ability to backup data - Using the bdb utilities >(db_load and db_dump) do not = work. It seems that this is >based on OpenLDAP using custom = hashes in the creation of the >configured indexes. (This is = based on some discussion I found >in the maillist archives). = The two workarounds that I am >aware of, creating ldif files = with slapcat, and backing up the >bdb files themselves so not seem = to be adequate for the >following reasons: > >* slapadd - with 600K users and no = indexes it takes about 2 > hrs to load. The = creation of indexes afterwards with > slapindex takes an = additional 6-12 hours. To me, this seems > like too long of a time = for recovery. >* *.bdb file backup - we've had = limited success with this. > There also seems to be an = issue, even after doing a > db_checkpoint and a = db_recover of a dependency on logs > files. As we are = looking to do a 'cold' backup of our > master ldap directory, we = do not want to be dependent on logs files. > >I have searched the archives = quite a bit looking for similar >issues with limited = success. I know the basics of how >OpenLDAP works and tuning of the = system, but I am by no means >a guro in the internals. At = this point, I am looking for some >direction as to how to = proceed. > >System: >* OS: RH ES 3.0 >* OpenLDAP 2.2.18 >* BDB 4.2.52 (with current = patches) > >Thanks!! >--John > >John Fortin >PBG Middleware and Web = Services >(914) 767-7844 >