Re: running out of file descriptors

--On Monday, November 22, 2004 2:48 PM -0800 John Woodell <woodie@worldpac.com> wrote:

I'm running openldap-2.0.27, with hundreds of Mozilla Thunderbird clients.

We started to notice that our OpenLDAP server was running out of file
descriptors.
When this happens, OpenLDAP becomes non-responsive.

Looking at my slapd logs, I noticed that other LDAP clients close their
connection right away,
but mozilla will hang onto them, and will close a bunch at once (possibly
when the client exits).

Is this a bug in Mozilla, or will an OpenLDAP configuration change and/or
upgrade fix the problem.

An upgrade and defining "idletimeout" in slapd.conf will fix this problem. Note that a 2.0 to 2.2 upgrade is not trivial.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer