Re: Building openldap with overlays

Michael Ströder wrote:

Howard Chu wrote:

Kevin Spicer wrote:

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 01:11, Howard Chu wrote:

Sounds like a flaw in the ppolicy schema definition. You can work
around this by adding "NO-USER-MODIFICATION" to the definition of the operational attributes in ppolicy.c. (Seems counter-intuitive, but it
will work.)

Yes, I worked that out after I posted by reading the code. However what
I couldn't work out is that although none of the operational attrs have
"NO-USER-MODIFICATION" defined pwdFailureTime and pwdAccountLockedTime
still manage to update. I think they are being updated using the
rootdn

Yes.

Those attributes are modified during a Bind operation, and no other attributes are being touched.

And what happens to 'modifiersName' and 'modifyTimestamp'?

In the current module, nothing. It's obviously open to debate, but I don't believe an internal operation like this warrants updating those attributes.

During a Modify/Password operation, multiple attributes are being modified, some requested by the user, so the operation must be performed as the user.

Hmm, are there any security considerations with 'pwdFailureTime' and 'pwdAccountLockedTime' being modifiable by the user?

Certainly. As I said, it looks like this is a flaw in the schema definition, and it appears that draft 8 has the same defect. I don't recall if this was mentioned on the LDAPext discussion, will take a look.

--
 -- Howard Chu