Re: Building openldap with overlays

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 01:11, Howard Chu wrote:
> Sounds like a flaw in the ppolicy schema definition. You can work
> around
> this by adding "NO-USER-MODIFICATION" to the definition of the
> operational attributes in ppolicy.c. (Seems counter-intuitive, but it
> will work.)

Yes, I worked that out after I posted by reading the code.  However what
I couldn't work out is that although none of the operational attrs have
"NO-USER-MODIFICATION" defined pwdFailureTime and pwdAccountLockedTime
still manage to update.  I  think they are being updated using the
rootdn (but I'm not familiar enough with the code to be sure), is there
any reason why the other op attrs aren't updated using the rootdn
instead of the users dn during a password update extended operation?

My reason for not being keen on adding NO-USER-MODIFICATION into the
schema is that I'm working around an issue with solaris's pam_ldap where
the pwdReset attribute isn't honoured (when it is set users can login no
problem) by allowing users in the sysadmin group to tweak the
pwdLastChanged value to force a password change.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.