Re: SQL Backend Question

From: "Pierangelo Masarati" <ando@sys-net.it>
> Michael Nguyen wrote:

[snip]

Hello, Pierangelo!

> >==>backsql_load_schema_map()
> >Segmentation fault
> >
> >It looks like we're connecting to the database successfully, but I'm not
> >sure what's happening at this point.  Could someone point me int he right
> >direction?
> >

> 0) did you read http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/378.html ? are
> sure you need back-sql and you accept to live with its intrinsic
> limitations in terms of usability and performances?

I haven't read that page, but I will.  Our current back end is MySQL.
However, we are planning to use a software package that requires the use of
an LDAP server.  Rather than maintain two back end databases (MySQL and
LDAP), we decided that it'd be best to either:

 - Get OpenLDAP + MySQL working
 - Just write a Java proxy that translates LDAP requests into SQL and
returns a properly formatted response

> 1) what version of slapd are you using? OpenLDAP 2.2.18 doesn't SIGSEGV
> if the database is not properly populated.

This is 2.2.18.  I'm actually not sure if the database is properly
populated, but I think it is.  There's definitely something in it as I used
the SQL scripts in ./servers/slapd/back-sql/rdbms_depend/mysql to populate
the database.  I've looked at the data in the tables and it seems to make
sense.

> 2) did you read http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/978.html ? did
> you check the FAQ and the mailing lists?  Another (not officially
> released yet) source of information is

http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/servers/slapd/back-sql/rdbms_depend/README?rev=1.3&hideattic=1&sortbydate=0

I grabbed the test031-component-filter from CVS and tried running it.
However, the script says the following:

## Make sure that you turn on LDAP_COMP_MATCH in slapd source codes
## and --enable-modules  is configured yes

I was unable to find LDAP_COMP_MATCH anywhere.  Is this perhaps named
something else?

> 3) if you want to play with CVS HEAD code (not that different from
> 2.2.18 wrt/ back-sql) it contains a (very limited) test suite, which
> currently works for PostgreSQL (read/write), IBM db2 (read/partially
> write) and MySQL (read-only); from subdirectory test/ do "./run
> sql-test000" __AFTER__ populating and starting the database with data
> provided in servers/slapd/back-sql/rdbms_depend/*/ (RDBMS dependend in
> nature, cannot provide more specific instructions).

I think you're referring to sql-test0000-read.  I get some errors when I try
to run it as it doesn't seem to be made for the version of OpenLDAP that I
downloaded.  The errors I'm getting are for the following vars:

BACKSQL
RDBMS
SQLCONF

I edited defines.sh so that BACKSQL and RDBMS were defined, but I didn't
know what I should put for SQLCONF.

The line goes like this:

. $CONFFILTER $BACKEND $MONITORDB < $SQLCONF > $CONF1
$SLAPD -f $CONF1 -h $URI1 -d $LVL $TIMING > $LOG1 2>&1 &

Thanks a lot for your help, Pierangelo.

Michael