slapd 100% cpu

I am working on replacing our openldap 2.0 servers with 2.2.17 servers. I am having a problem with the provider taking 100% cpu after the first consumer connects and replicates. Everything is fine until a change is made on the provider. Restarting the provider server does not fix the problem either, I have to remove the dbd files in order to fix the problem. Everything on the provider was added with ldapadd and are simple objects (organization and organizationalunits). I have not configured a sessionlog on the provider since from what I have seen on the mailing list it doesn't look like it is necessary. I am not sure where to go from here in order to debug this problem.

Thanks,
jl

provider slapd.conf: database bdb suffix "o=computility" rootdn "cn=Manager,o=computility" rootpw secret directory /var/lib/ldap index objectClass eq

consumer slapd.conf:
database bdb
suffix "o=dev9,o=computility"
rootdn "cn=Manager,o=dev9,o=computility"
rootpw secret
directory /var/lib/ldap
index objectClass,uidNumber,gidNumber,mailAlternateAddress,uid,dc eq
index cn,mail eq,subinitial
syncrepl rid=123
provider=ldap://192.168.1.238:389
type=refreshAndPersist
interval=00:00:00:10
searchbase="o=dev9,o=computility"
filter="(objectclass=*)"
scope=sub
schemachecking=off
updatedn="cn=Manager,o=dev9,o=computility"
bindmethod=simple
binddn="cn=Manager,o=computility"
credentials=secret