RE: Possible issue with Openldap and bdb with bdb transaction log s

>John,
>
>If you read the FAQ, you will note that the preferred way to bulk-load
>OpenLDAP is to use the "slapadd" tool while the server is down.  Not only
>is it faster, but you can turn off the generation of the transaction logs.
>
>Also, are you running BDB 4.2.52 or BDB 4.2.52 plus patches?
>
>Have you properly configured DB_CONFIG for BDB in your database directory?
>
>Have you looked at using the DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE flag in DB_CONFIG?
>
>--Quanah

Quanah,
  Thanks for the response.  That was my first option, but unfortunately we
cannot bulk load with slapadd because of business requirements and data
validation; instead, he entries are being created programatically.  Also
this fails by filling up the log directory after adding 'only' about 5000
entries, which I would hope slapd can handle.  These entries ate up about
3.4 Gig of logs. I have additional space available for logfiles, but that
doesn't seem like a great solution.

  We are using bdb 4.2.52 with the 2 (at build time) available patches.
DB_CONFIG is used to setup the logging directories and the cache size for
the database.  I hadn't heard of DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE.  I will look into it.

These are the current entries in out DB_CONFIG:

set_cachesize   		0      52428800        0
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            1097152
set_lg_dir              /var/ldapdb/slave2/logs
set_tmp_dir             /tmp

--John

John Fortin
PBG Middleware and Web Services