Re: Possible issue with Openldap and bdb with bdb transaction logs

--On Friday, November 12, 2004 11:24 AM -0600 "Fortin, John {PBG}" <John.Fortin@pepsi.com> wrote:

We seem to have an issue with OpenLDAP not releasing transactions to the
backend bdb database we are using.  I've searched as best I can for a
solution to no avail.

Currently we are trying to bulk load 600,000 users to OpenLDAP, 50,000 at
a time.  While the load process is running, we are generating a large
number of tranaction logs in bdb.  We are trying to run 'db_checkpoint
-1' and 'db_archive -d' in order to trim the transaction logs to a
manageable size as the load runs.  However, these do not seem to work
while slapd is running.  When we stop slapd, both programs run as
expected and the logs are deleted.

We have tried adding the checkpoint parameter to the slapd.conf, but this
does not seem to work.  The docs and entrie in the FAQ-o-matic seem to
indicate that this may not even be supported anymore.  There were a couple
of hits on using txn_checkpoint in DB_CONFIG, but this parameter does not
seem to valid.

Is there an issue with checkpointing the backend bdb while slapd is
running? If not, is there a general procedure for forcing checkpoint
without taking slapd down.

We are using OpenLDAP version 2.2.15 on RH ES 30 and bdb 4.2.52.

TIA for any assistance!!

John,

If you read the FAQ, you will note that the preferred way to bulk-load OpenLDAP is to use the "slapadd" tool while the server is down. Not only is it faster, but you can turn off the generation of the transaction logs.

Also, are you running BDB 4.2.52 or BDB 4.2.52 plus patches?

Have you properly configured DB_CONFIG for BDB in your database directory?

Have you looked at using the DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE flag in DB_CONFIG?

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer